YOUR HAIR &
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR HAIR & MAKEUP TRIAL
Arranging your hair and makeup trial may be one of the last things you think about when planning your special day. It can also be one of the most nerve wracking. But rest assured, you have nothing to worry about. I have created this guide to help you feel as prepared as possible for your trial and to ensure that we can make the most out of your experience. As your big day inches closer, your hair & makeup trial will allow us to get to know one another better and provide you with an exciting glimpse of how amazing you will look on the big day!
PLAN FOR YOUR TRIAL
- Choose your dress – So many Brides will tell you that the wedding dress they chose was nothing like the dress they thought they would wear down the aisle. So, find the one before deciding on your hair and makeup. Once you have your dress, we can create a look that compliments your overall bridal vibe. If you’re planning to wear a veil or hairpiece on your wedding day, or maybe you have statement jewellery in mind, consider also purchasing these items in time for your trial.
- Start looking for your ideas – Remember, Pinterest is amazing but it can also be full of unrealistic and heavily edited images! Look for inspiration to incorporate into your wedding day look – know what you want, as well as what you definitely don’t want!
- Focus on skin care – One of the best things you can do in the run up to your wedding is to up your skin care game. Commit to drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. Consider chatting with a skin care specialist to create a tailored regime. Moisturise!
- Time to book – Around 6 months before your wedding day, let’s catch up and discuss arranging your trial. If you have a specific date in mind (maybe your hen do, or a friend’s wedding), and would like to make the most of having your hair and makeup done, get in touch as soon as possible to check availability.
ARRANGING YOUR TRIAL
- All bridal hair & makeup trials are held at my home studio: 20 Ousterley Terrace, Stanley, Durham, DH9 6EU
- I recommend holding your hair and/or makeup trial around 6-8 weeks prior to your wedding day. Please be aware that weekends are prioritised for weddings – weekday, daytime trials are preferable (see yourself in the daylight, as you will on your wedding day).
- The trial price stated on your invoice will be payable on the day of your trial.
prepare YOUR HAIR
- Please wash your hair the night before or, if necessary, on the morning of your trial. Do not arrive with dirty or wet hair!
- Arrive with dry hair, but avoid using heated tools/straighteners and product before your trial.
- If you have a ton of ideas, I would recommend narrowing them down to your TWO favourite styles. Otherwise, you will become overwhelmed and your hair will not thank you for the excessive heat and styling!
- If you’ve chosen a veil/hair accessories/your jewellery, please bring them along with you so that we can try them out. This will really help you to see your overall wedding day bridal look!
prepare for MAKEUP
- Please arrive wearing no makeup – especially no mascara! If possible, follow your usual skincare beforehand.
- As well as inspiration photos, please bring along photos of how you would normally wear your own makeup, including on a night out. This will help me to get a better understanding of the style/amount of makeup you’re used to.
Trial tOP TIPS
- Avoid wearing black/dark colours to your trial. Instead, wear a white top or similar to mimic the colour of your wedding dress.
- Even better if you can wear a top with a similar neckline to your dress. Avoid turtle/high neck tops.
- Come with ideas, as well as an open mind! Be ready to answer lots of questions and tell me all about your big day!
- Please allow up to 2 hours for hair/makeup only trials and 3 hours for both.
- You are welcome to bring ONE family member/friend. Make sure it’s someone who’s opinions and ideas you admire – positive vibes only!
I’m a professional Hair Stylist and Makeup Artist, based in Stanley, Durham. I beautify Brides and their tribes across Durham, Tyne & Wear and Northumberland . My job often requires me to travel further afield and I’m more than happy to do so. Planning a wedding? Let’s chat!