YOUR HAIR &
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR HAIR & MAKEUP TRIAL
Arranging your hair and makeup trial may be one of the last things you think about when planning your special day. It can also be one of the most nerve wracking. But rest assured, you have nothing to worry about. I have created this guide to help you feel as prepared as possible for your trial and to ensure that we can make the most out of your experience. As your big day inches closer, your hair & makeup trial will allow us to get to know one another better and provide you with an exciting glimpse of how amazing you will look on the big day!
PLAN FOR YOUR TRIAL
- Choose your dress – So many Brides will tell you that the wedding dress they chose was nothing like the dress they thought they would wear down the aisle. So, find the one before deciding on your hair and makeup. Once you have your dress, we can create a look that compliments your overall bridal vibe.
- Start looking for ideas – Remember, Pinterest is amazing but it can also be full of unrealistic and heavily edited images! Look for inspiration to incorporate into your wedding day look – know what you want, as well as what you definitely don’t want!
- Focus on skin care – One of the best things you can do in the run up to your wedding is to up your skin care game. Commit to drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. Consider chatting with a skin care specialist to create a tailored regime. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!
- Care for your hair – Get healthy hair ahead of your wedding day! There are tons of tips you can try: drink plenty of water; invest in a tangle teezer; reduce heat; use heat protectant; schedule regular hair cuts (& colours); take your vitamins; avoid ‘cheap’ shampoos; if your hair is feeling limp and lifeless, look into purchasing a clarifying shampoo to remove any excess build up. Let’s chat about more options if you have any specific hair concerns.
- Time to book – I will be in touch with you in good time to request your availability and discuss booking in your trial. Trials are held on weekdays during daylight hours – this allows you to get a true representation of how you’ll look on your wedding day and test the longevity of the styles. I allocate up to 3 hours for bridal hair & makeup trials, and up to 2 hours if hair/makeup only.
ARRANGING YOUR TRIAL
- All bridal hair & makeup trials are held at my home studio: 20 Ousterley Terrace, Stanley, Durham, DH9 6EU
- I generally recommend holding your hair and/or makeup trial around 2 months prior to your wedding day, although there’s no specific rule! Please be aware that weekends are reserved for weddings – trials are held on weekdays, during the day (see yourself in daylight, as you will on your wedding day). Once I have your availability, I will be in touch with some potential trial dates.
- The trial price stated on your invoice will be payable via bank transfer and must be paid before you leave my studio at the latest.
prepare YOUR HAIR
- Please wash your hair the night before or, if necessary, on the morning of your trial. Do not arrive with dirty or wet hair!
- Arrive with dry hair – blow dry, rather than airdry, but avoid overusing heated tools/straighteners and please no product before your trial.
- Your Hair Trial is for one hairstyle only. If you have a ton of ideas, I would recommend narrowing them down to your two favourite styles and we can have a chat and choose between them. If the styles are somewhat similar in preparation and there is an ‘easy’ way of moving from one to the other, then we may be able to try out both within the one trial. If you would like to try out completely different styles, or a number of different styles, I may recommend booking additional time.
- I have a range of beautiful hair accessories available to wear at your trial (available with discount codes to purchase online!) and would definitely recommend achieving your dream hairstyle before 100% deciding on accessories. We want the piece to compliment your hairstyle, rather than having to work your hair ideas around the piece.
- If you have already chosen your accessories/a veil/your jewellery, please bring them along with you so that we can try them out. This will really help you to see your overall wedding day bridal look!
prepare for MAKEUP
- Please arrive wearing no makeup – especially no mascara! If possible, follow your usual skincare beforehand.
- Please prepare inspiration photos. You can also show me photos of how you would normally wear your own makeup, including on a night out. This will help me to get a better understanding of the style/amount of makeup you’re used to.
- Your Makeup Trial is for one full makeup look only, with the option of ‘tweaking’ the look throughout e.g. adding more definition, changing the lip colour etc. If you have lots of different ideas, lets talk about them and I’ll help you decide which would be the best for you! If you would like to trial more than one full makeup look, I may recommend booking additional time.
prepare for PHOTOS
- I love capturing stunning portraits of my beautiful Brides-to-be, and will send any images taken to you following your trial.
- Your trial is the perfect opportunity to get comfortable in front of the camera (don’t worry – no crazy photo shoots or anything), see just how amazing your makeup and hair looks in photographs, and take away some special wedding journey memories to look back on.
- Of course, I love being able to share these images too. Once you’ve received them, you can let me know if you’d be happy for me to share them on my website/social media, and of course if you’d prefer that I wait until after your wedding day.
Trial tOP TIPS
- Avoid wearing black/dark colours to your trial. Instead, wear a white top or similar to mimic the colour of your wedding dress.
- Even better if you can wear a top with a similar neckline to your dress. Avoid turtle/high neck tops.
- If nothing else, wear a top that makes you feel pretty and a Bride-to-be!
- Come with ideas, as well as an open mind! Be ready to answer lots of questions and tell me all about your big day!
- Please allow up to 2 hours for hair/makeup only trials and 3 hours for both.
- Under the current climate, unless agreed otherwise, you should attend your trial alone. In some circumstances, I may allow you to bring ONE family member/friend. If this is the case, make sure it’s someone who’s opinions and ideas you admire – positive vibes only!
I’m a professional Hair Stylist and Makeup Artist, based in Stanley, Durham. I beautify Brides and their bridal parties across Durham, Tyne & Wear and Northumberland. Planning a wedding? Let’s chat!
Brilliant! So much appreciated!